I think we can all agree that the world is a harder, even scarier, place than it was when we were teens, be that 10, 20, 40 years ago. So how do we make the most of our kids’ teenage years? How do we, as their parents, help our children not merely survive but thrive in a season of life that is notoriously known as being hard? That’s exactly what we’re discussing on the podcast today with my guest, Kathryn Whitaker.
Who is Kathryn?
Kathryn is the author of Live Big, Love Bigger, an award-winning book about living an intentional, hell yes, kind of life. She’s a sixth-generation Texan who was raised as an evangelical Protestant and then converted to Catholicism on the eve of her wedding. On social media and her blog, Kathryn shares her honest take on family life and living the Gospel. She loves drinking Dr. Pepper and cheering on the Texas Aggies. She’s appeared in USA Today, EWTN, radio and TV stations around the country and is a frequent guest on The Catholic Channel on SiriusXM. Kathryn and her husband, Scott, live with their family in Austin, Texas.
Talking Teens & Real Life Advice
Y’all, I’m not going to beat around the bush. This episode is chock full of goodness about the teen years. So, to entice you to give this episode a listen, here are just a few of the things we discuss.
- Just like every baby is different, so is every teen.
- Pay attention to the things that your kid is interested in. These subjects and activities can act as a bridge when the going gets tough.
- Sometimes, kids have to make mistakes so that they can learn from them. And learning from mistakes means they’ll do better next time.
- Shaming our teens when they mess up doesn’t work. Loving them does.
- As kids get older, their story becomes less and less your own. That autonomy needs to be respected.
- Laying the groundwork of responsibility with your kids when they’re young takes a lot of hard work. But how rewarding it is when you see those lessons actually sticking as they get older!
- Don’t be afraid to ask your child for forgiveness.
And there’s so much more!
Quick Links from this Episode:
https://kathrynwhitaker.net/ — Go here to read her blog, get info on her speaking, and support her business.
Kathryn’s IG account
And a Giveaway!
Listen in at the end of the episode to get information on how you can enter to win one of these two Advent devotionals!
Maranatha: The Story of Our Savior by the ladies at Blessed is She (that’s an affiliate link, btw!)
Shadow & Light: A Journey Through Advent by Tsh Oxenrider
And don’t forget, friends! The best way you can encourage and help a new podcaster is to rate and review their show on your favorite podcast player. You can find A Welcome Grace Podcast with Beth Williby on Apple, Spotify, or your other favorite podcast player. Thank you!!